Wednesday 16 March 2011

Catastrophe in Japan

On Monday morning I took a call from the London Evening Standard asking me if I would like to pen a few words in reaction to the devastating earthquake and catastrophic tsunami. Beyond the obvious misery of human loss and the usual palaver about 'economic impact', my thoughts turned to how this terrible event will shape the future psyche of the Japanese nation:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23931834-yes-japan-will-recover-materially-but-what-of-the-national-psyche.do

There is of course a lot more to be said on this subject and tonight I expanded on it a little in an interview on the BBC's World News Today.

Longer musings on the disaster will follow shortly, but for the moment my heartfelt condolences to all those affected by the tragedy. My own memories of being caught in the devastation of Kobe in 1995 have been brought all too vividly back to mind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very best wishes to all at such difficult times Damian